Civvy Street enjoyed a fantastic day at the Career Transition Partnership’s Scotland Job Fair.
The team, consisting of Joe and Michelle met some wonderful people including both employers and Service-leavers and gained some valuable insights into the process as well as spreading the word about how our magazine can help those resettling from the Armed Forces into the next stage of their career.
If you haven’t attended a CTP event before then they are fantastic networking opportunities to help you get on the right resettlement track.
- The chance to meet employers who already recognise the skills and experience Service leavers can offer
- Presentations from key employers about their recruitment processes and vacancies
- A wide range of companies, from small regional organisations to large multinationals, from across many different industry sectors
- A fantastic networking opportunity – whether you’re ready to apply for live jobs or simply researching the market
- The opportunity to chat with Service support organisations, CTP staff, and other Service leavers who are also going through the resettlement process
Many of us have considered ditching our jobs in favour of starting a business from scratch. The incentives are obvious and exciting but even with an investable lump sum burning a hole in your ‘Service-leaver sky rocket’ it’s best to proceed with caution. Here are our tips to giving your start-up the best chance of success.
Continue reading “Business: Start-Ups”
As you’ll already know, Reservists are regarded as members of the Military, even though they do not necessarily have a full-time role. Although they are civilians, Reservists usually go for training on an annual basis to refresh and update their skills, with plenty of Armed Forces Service-leavers choosing to become Reservists simply to ‘keep their hand in’, so to speak.
Continue reading “Become A Reservist”
Service-leavers from the Armed Forces are in the box-seat where IT security is concerned. They’ll have been well used to high tech equipment and IT from their Military days and familiar with security and protection protocols where information security is of vital operational importance.
Continue reading “Cyber Security: Batten Down The Hatches!”
If you have the long term aim of gaining formal qualifications at a higher level, but without currently having the necessary qualifications required to access the course, you’ll need to have some kind of introduction to study. Foundation courses allow you to prepare for the rigours of further and higher education before you’re thrown in at the deep end.
Continue reading “Education: Laying The Foundations”