To give Dan, and veterans like him support for as long as they need it. Can you make the Heroes Promise and give £8 a month to help rebuild lives?
Dan Phillips’ recovery journey will last for life. The former Corporal’s life was changed beyond recognition when he was shot at while on patrol in Afghanistan in 2012.
He ruptured discs and damaged his spinal cord. His mobility seriously affected, Dan faced years of intensive therapy and could no longer even move around his own home. Having to leave the army left him heartbroken.
Dan’s back problems mean that his future remains uncertain. The injuries he received in Afghanistan mean that he will have limited mobility for life.
“It affects my life in every way. Sometimes my four-year-old has to help me get my shoes and socks on.”
Despite these challenges, Dan is determined to remain as active as his injuries allow, doing the school run with his son twice a day.
We have made a promise to Dan, and others like him, to give support for as long as it is needed. Will you sign up to the Heroes Promise, and give £8 a month, or as much as you can afford, to help rebuild lives?
As Dan says, “Whatever happens, I know I’ll be able to turn to Help for Heroes.”
In return for your promise…
You will receive:
- A Heroes Promise flyer to sign and return. We will display this in our recovery centres, to show our Heroes that they have your support
- Regular updates via email, so that you can read about how your donation is changing lives
- A window sticker, to display in your car or home.
How your money can help
Your generosity means that we can continue to provide recovery and support in areas including:
- Psychological Wellbeing – Giving Veterans and their loved ones access to advice, guidance and support for psychological distress, including stress, anxiety and depression.
- Health & Physical Wellbeing – Offering therapeutic activities and education on healthy living
- Welfare – Providing access to Key Workers to help Veterans and their families to live in safe, stable and affordable homes that are adapted to their needs; plus, support to help with budgeting and debt management
- Training and employment support – Offering careers advice and coaching, to help Veterans learn new skills
- In just one year, your £8 a month can pay for three Veterans like Dan to attend a course at one of Help for Heroes’ Recovery Centres. A survey of those who have engaged with our activities found that:
Promising the gift of long-term support
Regular donations mean that we can continue to be there for Veterans and their loved ones who are in need of support. They also provide us with a reliable income stream, so that we can promise to be there for those who will need us in the future.
More than 66,090 men and women who served between 1991 and 2014 are likely to need support at some stage in their lives. Additionally, every day seven individuals are forced to leave their military careers due to life-changing injury or illness. Many will have mental or physical problems that do not surface until years after they have left the Armed Forces.
Your regular donation will help these brave individuals to reach their potential, regain their purpose and have a positive impact on society once more. It will also enable us to support their loved ones.
If you are able to donate to us in this way, you can choose the amount you wish to give each month and can make changes to your regular donation at any time.
A thank you from Dan
“I wish I’d paid more attention in English at school to have a better word than ‘thank you’ because you guys are amazing. I cannot thank you all enough for everything you have done for me, I am eternally grateful.”